Monday 14 October 2013

Plenty bean geese to see today

A visit this morning to the plateau started off with nothing being seen but after a visit to Derek Hunter at Luckenburn to thank him for help and cooperation in allowing us to catch the birds on his farm again things changed for the better.
A drive along past Grangeneuk Farm gave me a sight of a flock of geese c50 towards the east. A short drive later I found c90 birds near Easter Jawcraig and later realised that a larger flock of c100 birds was feeding to the south of my position.
Some good collar identification was undertaken allowing me to work out pairs with juveniles in tow. The weather closed in soon after making further observation difficult.
I would reckon that our flock has increased to c200 birds. A call to Larry Griffin on the whereabouts of Tag07 was made to find out that at 2am this morning he was near Barnard Castle. Coming north gradually, what a bird.
I had help from a birder in Yorkshire yesterday who checked out the previous night roost north of Ilkley only to find that no geese were present on a remote reservoir. Great to get such help and cooperation from other like minded people.