Sunday 9 February 2014

Roost visit Fri 7th February 2014

I had located a flock of 80 bean geese at Strathaven prior to roost tonight so returned to the area to check on their roost location.

Fortunately I met up with farmer Jim Brown of Greencraig who was just setting out to return some sheep to the same area. Knowing that the geese would be disturbed I re-arranged my location to watch the disturbance take place and observe just where the 80 birds would re-locate to.

I drove to a spot west of the goose field and waited in the dimming light at 1730hrs. Sure enough on the approach to where the bean geese were, Jim's tractor and trailer spooked them and they took flight in the direction of Darnrig Moss where they would most likely settle for the night.

I then drove to Fannyside to watch for the rest of the bean goose flock flighting into the area to roost. At 1800hrs in the gloom I was rewarded by a spectacular vocal flight of 150 bean geese flying overhead and alighting onto East Fannyside Loch. Such events are truly wonderful to behold and make all the effort in monitoring this rare flock of  geese worthwhile.